Beware of Blastomycosis: A Hidden Danger for Pets

Beware of Blastomycosis - A Hidden Danger for Pets

If you are a pet owner in Minnesota or Wisconsin, who likes to spend time outdoors with your pet, it is important to be aware of the dangers of blastomycosis. This fungal infection can be deadly for dogs and cats.  Here is what you need to know to keep you furry friends safe.

What is Blastomycosis?

Blastomycosis is a fungal infection commonly found in wet, wooded areas. It is most prevalent in the northern areas of both Minnesota and Wisconsin, but can be found anywhere the soil conditions are right. The fungus causing the infection lives in soil and can infect animals and humans when inhaled. Blastomycosis usually starts in the lungs and can spread to other organs.

Symptom of Blastomycosis in Pets

Symptoms of blastomycosis vary depending on which organs are affected. They can include coughing, difficulty breathing, lethargy, loss of appetite, joint pain and fever. Blastomycosis can also cause unexplained skin and eye problems and may result in blindness. 

Rivertown Animal Hospital has seen an increase in blastomycosis this year.  If you notice any of the signs of this fungus in your pet, it is important to take them to your veterinarian as soon as possible for diagnosis and treatment.

For additional information: